History of Barmoor
Barmoor was built in 1908 by William and Anna Maria Harvey, Quakers from Leeds.
They had holidayed at the farmhouse next door and loved the area, so when the fields known as The Barmers came on the market they bought them and employed a Leeds architect to build a large family house, as a second home.
From the beginning Barmoor was enjoyed by their seven already adult children and by a growing tribe of fourteen grandchildren.
It was also a holiday haven for many other folk from Leeds and elsewhere invited out to enjoy peaceful times of recuperation or retreat.
During the First World War it housed a group of refugees from Belgium.
The eldest son, Ted Harvey, inherited the house and continued its use by family and friends, particularly by Quaker educational groups.
During the Second World War it became for a time a training camp for the women’s section of the Friends Ambulance Unit.
Having no children, in 1947 he set up a Family Trust to run the house as a holiday place for religious, educational and philanthropic groups.
In 1982 a Charitable Trust was established to continue to manage Barmoor in this way. The Managers are drawn from members of the family (now in the third and fourth generations from the “founders”) and from Quakers from the Kirkbymoorside and York areas.
Barmoor was built in 1908. A few years later an addition was made, comprising a Nursery room (now the Quiet Room) and the bedroom above. Until the early 1950s the house had no electricity or mains water. Lighting was by paraffin lamps and candles; water had to be pumped by hand and the drinking water had to be fetched daily from a pure spring on the moor.
Since the establishment of the Charity in 1982 gradual improvements have been made to furniture and fittings to increase the comfort of visitors without spoiling the atmosphere of a much loved family house. The garden and grounds can no longer be kept as they used to be, but provide a welcome play area with rough lawns and trees around. The house looks out over the Trust’s two fields, now farmed organically, to further views beyond.
At a celebration to mark the Barmoor Centenary on 24 August 2008, the Trustees started an ambitious development plan of improvement to the facilities. Please use this link, Barmoor 100 Years, to see how this developed.